Sunday, July 8, 2007

Later that same day... Well some of this is coming together so I better get back to the main attraction. Me and my jobhunt.


First let's set the stage. The reason I started this is I got laid off for the first time ever in my life. Every other time that I parted ways with a company it was because I believed I saw the end coming. Now I did not just run around job-hopping. I stayed a minimum of 6 years at any one company and I usually wasn't wrong when I left. One got company sold to BarinCo and got severly downsized and re-directed. One closed shop entirely, and in another one the division I was in got sold and re-located out-of-state. This time I guess I ignored the portents or perhaps I just thought I was bulletproof. After all, I had survived there over 8 years and over 3 years of twice yearly downsizings, re-orgs, and just plain old job-cuts. Well I am here to tell you I was Wrong.


They tell me that these days the average time spent at a company is about 6 years before some major event happens. That event usually entails looking elsewhere for employment. So if you are reading this you better figure that it will happen to you too. So pay attention and don't make the same mistakes that I am about to. I promise to let you know what works and what doesn't.

No comments: