Monday, January 5, 2009

Winter Thoughts

First of all you have to understand that I was 15 before I ever saw snow. Matter of fact I was that old before I ever saw ice that didn't come from the refrigerator. Yeah, I read about it in books but I also read about big white whales and dogs that could talk too. Growing up on the Gulf Coast, things like snow and mittens were just words that you had to learn how to spell. They had no reality or substance to them. In my world Winter was when you wore a jacket to school and forgot it when time to go home came around. Then you got the standard lecture about money growing on trees as your parents drove you back to school to get it. Yup, school and Winter kind of went together (yuck) like potatoes and beans. Summer was what we all lived for. Summer was freedom.



Now that I'm all growed up, Summer still means the same thing. The only difference is now I live a few hundred miles further north (still in the best state ever) and Winter brings at least one or two bouts of snow or ice. Today is an example. I am already kind of depressed because I had to winterize the trailer for the season. Also getting laid off just before the holiday season didn't exactly put me in a joyous frame of mind. And just look what I got now.


Ain't that a kick in the pants? Yeah, yeah... I know. All you yankees are squeezing in around a fireplace right now saying, "So what?? I see that every day". Well let me tell you that you mix this ice stuff and 100,000 Texans in pick ups and you got a menu for disaster. Right now out on the highways there is more color blending going on using fenders as paintbrushes than ever went on in any art school you could name. I've seen growm men commit truckicide. When I kick the dogs out to go potty, they look back at me like they were being punished. Have you ever seen a dog trying to walk on tip-toe?

Well I want Summer back. And I'm just gonna hold my breath and turn blue until it happens. Y'all come on down and take this stuff back on up North where it belongs now. Ya hear me?

That's it. Over and out. See ya...

No comments: