Saturday, January 24, 2009

Happy B-Day to Me

Well, it’s that time of year again. I have managed to keep breathing for yet another trip around the sun. Now I realize that my birthdays are usually cared about by only myself and selected members of my immediate family. OK, I admit that there are a few others like institutions that I owe money that would miss me. But this year was particularly educational.
Just in case you didn’t know let me let you in on some details. Birthdays are usually a cause for celebration by the very young. As you get older the parties get to be less and less of a production and attendance drops. When you get to the point where you are forced to admit to yourself that you are Old, note capitalization on purpose, the parties stop altogether. You might rate an e-card from relatives or close friends but that’s about it. But secretly inside you are saying, “Yeah, all right!! I just might get back what I stuffed into Social Security!” So you do a little dance around the living room and collapse into a wheezing, gasping, pile on the couch. You might work up to taking your significant other out for dinner but that’s about it.
This time was different. Just about the time I was busy congratulating myself for outliving a few more foes, the mail arrived. Among the regular heap of junk mail and bills there was one item addressed to me. Right there on the front of the envelope was this:


What a buzz-kill!! Well that just deflated the heck out of my balloon. Something like that can definitely yank you back to earth. I crept to the window to see if there were any long and low vehicles lurking in my driveway. Whew, nobody there!! So that envelope is definitely going to the shredder without being opened. I can get along quite nicely without the details.
Y’all excuse me. I am going out to my winterized trailer to watch some TV and wait for Summer. If you need me, you know where to find me!

No comments: